Friday, August 13, 2010

Fatal Loyalty


DUFFY, SUE
FATAL LOYALTY

Andie Ryborg has nowhere else to go. Her father's campaign for governor and his aggressive war on drugs has chased her from their family home. Drawn to Miami's exotic Coconut Grove, Andie hopes to find a quiet refuge where she can discover herself apart from the public eye. But even in that seclusion, even with an officer assigned to protect her, Andie's privacy has been violated. Someone is watching...

Evan Markham's entire life has been a tug-of-war between what is and what could. He is drawn to a life that is beyond his reach, and emotions have clouded his judgement. Evan knows that earning someone's trust isn't easy, especially when he plans to break it. But in the secret corridors of the criminal underworld, he knows what must be done, and he is determined to see it through. Whatever the cost...

When enemies close in, a sudden turn of events leaves them both questioning. Where is God in all of this? Who is this enigmatic stranger who offers to help? They both know their lives are in danger. But what about their hearts?

THIS BOOK IS PURE SUSPENSE. THE PAGES ARE RIDDLED WITH CLIFF HANGERS AND THERE ARE SO MANY TWISTS AND TURNS AND POSSIBLE SUSPECTS THAT I WAS READY TO BELIEVE ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN -- AND MOST OF IT DID.

THE ROMANCE DOES TAKE SECOND BILLING, NOT COMING TO FULL FRUITION UNTIL VERY CLOSE TO THE END OF THE BOOK BUT THIS IS SUCH A WHITE-KNUCKLE PAGE TURNER I BARELY NOTICED.

THE STORY IS TOLD FROM MULTIPLE POINTS OF VIEW, WHICH SEEMED TO DISTANCE ME FROM BECOMING AS EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED AS I LIKE BUT I STILL COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. THE LAYERS OF SUSPENSE ARE PURE MAGIC.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so looking forward to reading this one! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I love that it has so much suspense in it! Sounds great!

    I'm a bit disappointed that the romance isn't as prominent, but at least it sounds like an exciting story. :)

    Thanks for the review!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber,

    The more suspense I read, the more I appreciate a plot that can balance both the romance and the suspense. it's really tricky, I'm sure, but, like you, I LOVE my romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should have given this one more of a chance, I couldn't get into it when I checked it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, it took me a couple of chapters to get into it too...I think because of the multiple viewpoints it wasn't possible to latch on and connect with one character and feel committed to the story. It's a different style of writing than I'm used to, but I thought the suspense was solid and the benefit of so many characters was that it kept me on my toes. I think I thought everyone was guilty of something before the end of the book. LOL. I was right about a couple of things though...and dead wrong about others. I liked reading through those 'aha!' moments.

    ReplyDelete