Thursday, May 27, 2010

Steadfast Soldier


WYATT, CHERYL
STEADFAST SOLDIER

Rescuing people is his job but the one person pararescue jumper Chance Garrison can't seem to help is his own ailing father, who refuses his much-needed physical rehabilitation. That is, until Chance hires unconventional occupational therapist Chloe Callet. To his surprise, Chloe and her sweet black Lab, Midnight, work wonders. And not only on the elder Garrison. Chance just may have met the woman who can get through his own toughened exterior. Can he persuade the lovely Chloe to take a chance -- on him?

CHERYL WYATT DOESN'T JUST USE WORDS TO TELL A STORY, SHE CRAFTS WITH THEM. HER PACING, DETAIL AND DIALOGUE DELIVER A TIGHT PLOT WITH IMPRESSIVE IMPACT. SUCCINCT WORD CHOICE STILL PACKS A WALLOP WITHOUT ROBBING THE READER OF AN EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH HER CHARACTERS.

AND CHERYL EXCELS AT CHARACTERIZATION. SHE CREATES THOUGHT-PROVOKING PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING TO FIND THEIR WAY THROUGH DIFFICULT TIMES.

AS A ROMANTIC HERO, CHANCE GARRISON IS SUBLIME. CHERYL CONTRASTS HIS STRENGTHS WITH FEARS AND EXPOSES VULNERABILITIES THAT MAKE HIM BELIEVABLE AND VERY, VERY APPEALING. CHLOE CALLET HAS HER OWN BRAND OF STRENGTH BUT IS ALSO EMOTIONALLY FRAGILE. AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOK THEIR NEEDS AND DESIRES FOR THE FUTURE ARE DEFINITELY AT ODDS. PART OF THE JOY OF THIS READING JOURNEY IS DISCOVERING HOW CHERYL STACKS THOSE ODDS IN THEIR FAVOUR TO ENSURE A HAPPILY EVER AFTER ENDING.

THE ROMANTIC CONNECTION BETWEEN CHLOE AND CHANCE IS IMMEDIATE, BUT FRAUGHT WITH COMPLICATIONS. THAT DOESN'T STOP THE SLOW SIZZLE THAT GRADUALLY FANS INTO A DEEPLY-COMMITTED, GOD-CENTERED LOVE.

DEFINITELY AN INCREDIBLE READ THAT TRANSPORTED ME STRAIGHT INTO THE PAGES OF THE BOOK AND I DIDN'T WANT TO COME OUT!!! FROM PLOT, TO CHARACTERIZATION, TO ROMANCE, STEADFAST SOLDIER IS TOTALLY CAPTIVATING.

3 comments:

  1. Kav,
    I read from page 80-the end of A Soldier's Reunion last night. It was superb and I expect that now. I know that I will never be disappointed with Cheryl's work.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait until I get there. Slowly, but surely.....
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah,

    You know, I didn't realize that there were seven books in this series until recently. I started with Soldier Daddy which is Book five and the next for you to read if you're reading them in order. I'm trying to track down the earlier ones now. I love that Cheryl writes each book as a standalone so that you can enjoy it without having to read all the others first. But, of course, once you meet all the other characters you can't help but what read the whole series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly Kav! Lol! I didn't realize that YOU didn't realize *wink* Otherwise, I'd have told you!

    I'm participating in the Spring Reading Thing 2010. I have some of Cheryl's books on my list. You should check out my post at my blog:

    hcprojectjournal.blogspot.com

    If you want to participate, all the information's on my blog too. Hurry though, it's almost done (finishes in June).

    Talk to you later,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete