Sunday, January 29, 2017

Purgatory Road

PARKER, SAMUEL
PURGATORY ROAD

When a day trip out of Las Vegas with his wife takes a turn for the worse, Jack is sure he has the ability to get them home. But he has driven into something far beyond reason.

Rescue comes in the form of a desert hermit, but hope fades as the couple comes to realize that the nomad has no intention of letting them leave. A chance encounter with a kidnapped runaway and her crazed abductor leads them farther into the wilderness -- and closer to the cold brutality that isolation brings.

At the edge of his sanity, Jack begins to learn that playing by another's rules may be the only way to survive.

In a voice that is as hypnotizing as a desert mirage, debut novelist Samuel Parker, entices readers down a treacherous road, where the forces of good and evil are as crushing as the Mojave heat.

My Review:

Criminal Minds meets Twilight Zone in a profoundly disturbing narrative. Graphic violence and the dark subject matter made this a difficult read for me. If it is meant to be an allegorical tale, I find it even more disturbing. And depressing. Just not my type of reading material, though others have certainly given it positive reviews.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publication Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my.... I was hoping this was going to be a good read. I got one to read myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just wasn't for me, Aimee. You may enjoy it. It has that kind of detached, shock value style that I associate with Criminal Minds. Just goes a bit too far for me.

      Delete
    2. Guess, we will find out! I will try to remember to stop back and let you know if I liked it. Thanks for the review anyhow.

      Delete