Friday, March 20, 2015

How Many Times Do I Have to Tell You?

CARMAN, RACHEL
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU?

“I remember the day you were born.”
“Turn down the music!”
“This is going to hurt me more than it’s going to hurt you.”
“Hold my hand.”


You’ve probably said these things to your kids, but have you listened to
what you’re saying? In fact, your heavenly Father wants to tell you many
of these same things. Rachael Carman knows how noisy it can be when
you’re raising children—she has seven! But this lovely devotional book
will help you to hear God’s still, small voice amid the chaos of carpools,
cut fingers, and carpet crawlers. You’ll learn how to recognize God’s
instructions for you, even as you seek to follow His example as a parent.


My Review:

A unique book among the many parenting themed ones out there. I love the perspective twist -- the idea that those same questions (sometimes asked in exasperation) that we ask our kids can be applied to our own faith journey. Divided into sixty-eight short chapters -- each dealing with a 'mom' saying like Follow the Directions, Life isn't fair, Don't panic, and the all too unpopular, No. The author shares a brief personal story to set the scene, flips it so it applies to a faith principal and then follows up with a few reflective questions called A Moment for Introspection at the end. Pretty impactful stuff and would be great to use as a devotional. And though the target audience is parents, I think it holds a universal appeal.

My thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group and Apologia Educational Ministries for supplying me with a review copy of this book.  http://litfusegroup.com/author/rcarman

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to have to get this book, read it even though I don't have kids yet, then give it to my brother who does! Hadn't seen this one before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It`s just out, Lieniitte. Would make a great Mother`s Day or Father`s Day gift.

      Delete