Sunday, July 3, 2011

Simple Choices

MEHL, NANCY
SIMPLE CHOICES

One simple choice changes things forever. Freelance graphic designer Gracie Temple is trying to concentrate on her upcoming marriage to Sam Goodrich, the man of her dreams -- until events make her simple life in Harmony, Kansas, a mess of complications.

Foremost there's Hannah Mueller, daughter of the local Mennonite pastor and the girl Gracie sees as her protege. Gracie promises Hannah's parents that an art workshop in Wichita won't adversely affect the shy Mennonite girl, but once there, Gracie wonders if she's spoken too soon -- especially when Hannah adopts the worldly clothing styles of the big city and threatens to remain in Wichita instead of returning to Harmony. Gracie manages to coax Hannah home, but soon after arriving, Hannah vanishes. While the county sheriff is convinced Hannah's just another runaway, Grace's not so sure.

As Gracie races against time to discover the truth of Hannah's disappearance, her wedding plans -- and her family -- suffer under the strain. What simple choices will be made that not only affect Gracie's life but the lives of everyone she loves in Harmony?

My Review:

This conclusion of The Harmony Series won't disappoint fans, but be warned -- Simple Choices will have more of an impact if you have read the first two books, Simple Secrets and Simple Deceits. Gracie is back and just as tenacious and passionate as ever. Her look-before-you-leap strategy sends her straight into conflict as she exasperates and endears everyone close to her.

And talk about angst before a wedding!!! Most brides would be falling to pieces at the first sign of trouble. But not Gracie -- she's as intrepid as Nancy Drew and she always gets her man! (And the bridegroom too!)

There are some lovely gospel discussions in this book as well. They come about naturally and add a deeper dimension to the story. I particularly adore Ida's insights -- she's an elderly Old Order Mennonite woman with lots of spunk and an outpouring of wisdom. I have come away pondering just whether any choice is ever a 'simple' one. Kudos to Nancy Mehl for creating such an incredible series.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED this series!! Nancy did a great job with the mystery and the suspense. Hate to see Gracie and Sam leave:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this series too and it was left in such a way that I'm hoping she might come back to it again. I'd like to see Sam and Gracie as a married couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping so too, just haven't seen anything about her next book. This series kind of pulled me into the Amish books:) And then I read Simply Sara and that hooked me. Seemed a lot of the Amish books I read were too much alike.

    I wanted to let you know I received Indelible as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the book reached you, Charity! I've come to really love Amish/Mennonite books -- especially the ones that break the norm. A bunch of new ones are due to hit the bookshelves this summer. I'm so excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete